St Anne’s Church, Soho is looking to appoint a lay or ordained person to the new role of PARISH ASSISTANT supporting the Rector and the ministry of this busy, vibrant central London Church
St Anne’s is physically quite small, but its central location enables it to have a wide reach to diverse groups and individuals which it is beyond the capability of the Rector alone, with some volunteer support, to make any real impact upon.
We are looking therefore to employ someone who will help us respond to opportunities for mission and ministry that we have already recognised. Recent discussions amongst the Parochial Church Council suggest that this could include areas such as extending our outreach to residents, helping run a possible morning ‘drop in’, co-ordinating parish visiting, liaising with local charities that work with those who are homeless, addicted or mentally unwell. They might have some oversight of a night time safe-space the Westminster Council are keen to set up here….. the list of possibilities goes on!
What we need is someone to help turn ideas into reality.Working initially the equivalent of two days per week (16 hours) we envisage this role would involve:
- Supporting the Rector and/ or administrator with the delivery of projects and initiatives.
- Resourcing and developing the church’s community engagement.
- Liaising with local charitable support groups.
- Helping St Anne’s respond pastorally to the needs of the most vulnerable who live in or come to Soho.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop the role of Parish Assistant in line with the emerging needs of St Anne’s and the practical and pastoral gifts of the successful applicant.
It might suit someone exploring their vocation to ordained ministry, or someone who is recently retired. It could be held alongside another part-time position elsewhere.
They will need to be:
- Energetic, organised and reliable.
- Able to think creatively and be a problem solver.
- Have excellent people skills and able to use them with diverse demographics.
- Keen to make a difference to people’s lives and this community.
- Have sufficient IT skills to communicate and research effectively.
- Self-motivated and able to follow instructions: able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Kind (though a wicked sense of humour might be beneficial).
- Share or support the Christian faith and be able to see this role as a ministry.
The Assistant would be employed by St Anne’s initially for a two-year contract.
Salary: £10.50 per hour (plus expenses/ statutory contributions etc)
Subject to appropriate DBS checks and references.
Letter of interest with CV to the Rector, Rev’d Simon Buckley by Monday 12th November.
St Anne’s Church, 55 Dean St, London W1D 6AF